Tuesday 2 January 2018

COP3: Choosing Case Studies

When it comes to my Chapter Three, I wasn't sure which case studies I wanted to analyse. I knew that I wanted to analyse contemporary illustration because I think that is what I can most relate to, and I think it works well within my essay because I am trying to talk about the evolution of the opinion of cats, so looking at contemporary examples will be interesting to see how our opinion has evolved in the modern era.

When in the library, I came across an interesting book called Panther by an illustrator called Brecht Evens. At first I thought that the book was a children's book and I thought it would be interesting to have a look at. However when I brought it home it turned out it was a lot more different than I first thought. The book insinuates childhood abuse and is more a graphic novel than a children's book. I think this would be an interesting case study for me to look at because it talks about the relationship that the main character Christine has with Panther, a cat. It shows Panther in different ways, insinuating that he is the abuser or that Christine relates to him. I think this would be interesting because it looks at Panther in different ways.


The next book that I came across whilst I was looking on the internet was 'They All Saw A Cat' by Brendan Wenzel. This is actually a children's book and is quite simplistic when it comes to the language it uses. However I thought the imagery was really interesting as it talks about how different animals percieve the cat that they are coming across. Each animal has it's own opinion of the cat that we can see in how they are illustrated and the page I am most drawn to is the one with the mouse, as he sees the cat as a massive black monster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment