Saturday 3 December 2016

cop: the great wave merchandise

I just thought I would make a collection of all the merchandise that I have found for Hokusai's 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa' I think this will be good for me to see what is out there and how it is being re purposed. Sometimes,  they just take the image itself and put it onto something new, however sometimes they take the idea of it and redraw or redesign it. I want to ask myself is this where some of the popular art from today will be in a few hundred years? When the artist is dead does that leave the art to be grabbed by people who just want to make some money? Does this diminish the importance of traditional art?



There are some on this presentation that are quite ridiculous. There is some sort of thong (?) which i'm not sure why this beautiful artwork is appropriate. There are things that I see as having irony to them, like a tea  towel with the print on it, to mop up wetness using a wave. There is an almost humorous irony to it. 

It was interesting for me to collect these and see how I could try and incorporate them into my own drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment